If you feel that you really don’t earn the money you and your service are worth, or you are struggling to make ends meet, or still working part/full time in a job you hate while trying to grow your holistic practice, then there may be an underlying conflict of interest which is sabotaging your efforts.
Holistic Practitioners, by their very nature, tend to be loving, caring, giving people with a genuine desire to help and heal fellow human beings and the planet as a whole.
Out of this desire to help, many practitioners tend to give away a lot of their services for free or charge very low prices. In doing so, they undermine themselves and their service, and end up running round like very drained headless chickens. Often the clients who have received the most for free, tend to be the complainers who want more and more and nothing is ever good enough for them.
If you have ever caught yourself saying any of the following, you may have some underlying negative beliefs about money and success, which are blocking abundant flows of money from coming to you.
- People (who need/ want my service) can’t afford…/won’t pay
- People won’t pay more than £x… for abc treatment
- Everyone else charges £x… and people won’t pay more
- I will lose all my clients if I raise my prices
- I still have problems myself, how can I help other people to…
- I feel guilty about charging that much
- My clients are my friends- I can’t charge them for my services they won’t be my friends any more
- Money isn’t spiritual
- Success and trappings incongruent with “spiritual” values
- Money doesn’t motivate me- I do this out of a desire to help others
- The more I give, the more the Universe will return to me
These may also be coupled with some general limiting beliefs which a lot of people have about themselves:
- I don’t deserve
- I am not worthy of success
- People won’t love and accept me if I have money
- Money doesn’t grow on trees
- “Filthy” Rich people are all mean, nasty selfish crooks who rob people and rip them off to get their success
- Universal dumping ground
Do you ever feel like a honey pot that magnetically attracts people and all their problems, which they then come and dump on you? Often they go away feeling better and you are still worrying about them.
Many holistic practitioners find themselves treated as a “Mr or Ms Fix-It” who gets the blame when things go wrong in client’s lives and are then expected to pick up the pieces and put it all back together again for the client.
Some of the issues that come up here are:
- A sense of responsibility for that person- they are my client, they need my help and they are paying me to “fix them”
- They won’t like me, or won’t come back if I give them back the responsibility for their problems
Unless you have clear boundaries in place, many people seem to think they can ring you whenever they choose or turn up on your doorstep with something that needs fixing. If you are like many holistic practitioners you may find it very difficult to go out and enjoy yourself socially, because invariably someone will ask you what you do, and within 5 minutes you are engrossed in a conversation about their ailments and what do about them- all for free!
For many holistic practitioners there can be some unhelpful beliefs about self worth and self esteem lurking under the surface. Have you ever done any of the following:
- Allowed a client’s session to over run and still charged them the same amount of money?
- Waived your no-show fee for a regular offender?
- Regularly started a session late because the client was late and then run over into the next session?
- Booked a client in on your day off, or later than you would normally work because that is “the only time they can come”?
- Squeezed a client in, and then made yourself late for a personal appointment or cancelled a personal arrangement to see a client?
What’s the answer?
- List of I desire/ I choose to no longer have: Write the second list first. Write all the things in your life that you would like to change, from money to health to relationships, to the way you allow clients to treat you to anything else you can think of. Write it with as much feeling as you can. Then write all the things you desire to have in your life and now choose to allow yourself to have.
You’ll probably find the “realistic voice of reason” will chip in here, telling you all the reasons why you can’t do, have and be all the things of your dreams. It is really important to silence this voice, even if it is just for a few moments. You can focus on the “how to do it” later.
Look at the 2 lists and decide which is true for your life or which you would like to be true, and burn the other. Release all the negative up to the Universe for transmutation into positive energy.
- Awareness of your thoughts: This alone can make a huge difference. You have total control of your thoughts and can choose what you think and how you react to things around you. Tip: Think of your life in 10 second increments. In this 10 seconds I choose Ease, Joy and Fun, in the next…
- Catch yourself giving yourself a hard time. Listen to your thoughts for a few minutes, and notice the ratio of positive to negative thoughts. Listen for the next time you are unkind to yourself, or tell yourself you can’t do something and listen for the reasons you give yourself
- Question them. Ask yourself 1) if that belief is really true- could you categorically prove it if you had to in a court of law 2) Can you think of one stress free reason to keep that thought or belief? 3) Who would you be if you did not have that belief? 4) What is the opposite of that belief? 5)Which do you choose as true for you? 5)Start to act as if you really was really true for you and it will become your new reality very quickly
- Power Question. Ask yourself- What would I like in my life? Why don’t I have it yet? Listen for the reasons that come up and then question them.
- Money is… finish the sentence with as many answers as you can. This will give you a good idea of your beliefs around money.
- Power of Intention. Set an intention to clear all negative beliefs about yourself and money, and to choose new ones. This is hugely powerful and mountains literally start to move for you.
- Watch your language. How you use your words and thoughts creates your reality. Some suggested words to release from your language are:-
- Try (either do or don’t, try usually means No!),
- Want (there are dozens of definitions of this word, most of which mean “lack”, and only one which means desire, so the phrase “I don’t want… money issues” really means ” I lack money issues”, so the Universe will help to bring what you feel you lack. Better words to use are I desire, or I choose, or I allow..
- Compl E mentary versus Compl I mentary. This could be one of the reasons why you find yourself giving away a lot of your services. Holistic Practitioners are often referred to as “Compl E mentary Therapists”, complement meaning to go together with something else or to enhance something else and make even better. Yet spoken quickly “Compl I mentary” meaning FREE of charge, sounds almost identical. Is it any wonder people think your services are free?
- EFT- Emotional Freedom technique. This is a very powerful technique, whereby you can release stuck energy by tapping on certain commonly recognised acupuncture points.
Specifically for money, these run across the head from ear to ear. If you tap firmly on your head in a cross over pattern, saying phrases such as “Money flows to me, I am flowing mine, Money is good, money is spiritual, money is love, energy, freedom” you can release stuck energies.
Also, if you are feeling a sense of overwhelm, particularly in relation to money, you can press firmly on the centre of your brow to release the pressure. For more information on specific uses of EFT, visit www.emofree.com
- Relaxation. Most limiting beliefs were created at an unconscious level as a child and the easiest way to clear them is at the same level. Through relaxation you can do that quickly and easily, without needing to go back and re-experience the pain that may be associated with the original memory. We have a range of relaxation CDs that can help you do just that.
- Value Yourself and your Time. Do something outrageous- like doubling your prices and work half as much time with half as many clients. You may lose some clients, but you will certainly gain others. For many people, a higher price is actually perceived as a better service. Practice saying NO! People will respect you for it.
- Treat yourself like your highest paying client. You are your most valuable asset and treat yourself to all those wonderful things that you love, which make you feel special. If you go to someone for a massage, don’t do it because you are trying to stop your aching muscles from ageing, do it instead because you are a beautiful, valuable person and you deserve it!
- Think Empower. The more you can give your client’s back the responsibility for their own well being, the more you can empower them, and the less “dependant” they will be on you. They will still come back for treatments for the sheer fun and pleasure of it, and you are likely to find that both you and the client feel energised, because you are no longer responsible for their lives.
- Multiple sources of income. Rather than work flat out for 8,10,12 or more hours a day, could you create other products which people can use at home, such as CDs, DVDs, workbooks? Could you teach people how to do a basic treatment at home for themselves? Could you have it recorded and sell the DVDs or CDs? How could you work smarter and earn twice as much, working half as many hours?
The ideas presented in this document are for educational and informational purposes only and represent the opinions of the author. They are not presented as a statement of fact, nor are they designed to replace any professional, medical, legal, business or financial advice, which may be appropriate to your personal circumstances.
Please feel free to use or adapt any of the ideas presented here, and lovingly release back to the Universe anything which does not resonate with you.
Wish you abundant blessings and much success
©2004Amanda Goldston. All rights reserved
C – Clear Limiting Beliefs for Holistic Practitioners
How To Be a Powerful Holistic Practitioner (Healer) With Avalanches of Financial Abundance Flowing Into Your Life…
There is an amazing new audio and E-book package called, ‘Clear Limiting Beliefs for Holistic Practitioners.’
It covers nearly everything you need to know about How to identify and clear Limiting Beliefs, which many Holistic Practitioners face on a daily basis such as
• People (who need my service) can’t afford…/won’t pay
• People won’t pay more than £x… for abc treatment
• Money and all the trappings are incongruent with “spiritual” values?
Imagine what you could do as a Powerful Healer with money…
This packages includes:
• Powerful relaxation to help you to gently release blocks to abundance and success
• 2 short relaxations to help you to mentally prepare for each client, to clear away any negative residue left after a treatment and to keep you fit and well, so you do not take on illness from your clients
• 30 page workbook to clear away limiting beliefs, using numerous proven and highly effective strategies for fast results
• Audio Workbook as convenient downloads that you can listen to in the car or on your computer