What are limiting beliefs?
Limiting Beliefs are unhelpful, unsupportive ideas and beliefs we have about ourselves, our sense of self worth, how much we feel worthy and deserving (or not) of wealth, love, health, happiness and all the good things in life.
Where do they come from?
Many were instilled in us as children by parents, teachers, siblings, and other authority figures. Up until the age of about 8, we cannot distinguish between fact and someone else’s opinion, so much of what we were taught is accepted by our unconscious mind without question.
As children, we may have been told that we were “stupid” or “clumsy” or “worthless” or would “never amount to much” or “rich people are all selfish, mean crooks” or “there is never enough” and those ideas often still govern our behaviour as adults. So we end up sabotaging our efforts at success.
How do I know if I’ve got any?
Ask yourself “What do I want in my life?” and then “Why don’t I yet have it?” The answer will usually be “I can’t have that because I am too… old/young/fat/thin/uneducated/overqualified/from the wrong side of town/wrong sex…”. Whatever comes up will be the limiting belief (s).
Fortunately you do not have to delve into this unless you really want to. You do not have to know what is blocking you to release it.
How do I create more helpful beliefs?
- Set an INTENTION to gently release any thoughts and beliefs that do not serve you.
- What do /don’t I want?- write a list of all the things you no longer want in your life e.g being fat, broke, lonely, in a dead end job. Then burn it! Next right a list of all the things you do want.
- Remember the 3 Ps of goal setting- present, personal, precise- e.g I now earn £50,000 a year, I weigh 10stone, I work in a fantastic job as a … and I am in a loving relationship, I am full of confidence etc..
- Focus on What you WANT, not on what you don’t want. If you want more money, focus on more money coming, and not on getting out of debt. We attract more of what we focus on.
- Success Beliefs- make a list of all the beliefs you would need to have to be successful e.g I am confident, I am an excellent public speaker, I am successful business person, I easily attract new clients, I am lovable etc.. Beliefs are only thoughts and you can now choose your thoughts and control what fills your mind
- Power Affirmations- write out the quality you would most like to develop and repeat it constantly to yourself. E.g I am confident. Start acting as if you were confident.
- Results Questions- Stop asking yourself Why questions- such as “Why can’t I lose weight?” and ask “How can I be EVEN MORE full of joy, love, happiness, vibrant health, confidence and attract unlimited abundance into my life RIGHT NOW?” Your mind will produce some amazing results and creative insights using that kind of question!
I hope you found this article useful.
With abundant blessings
©Amanda Goldston 2004. All rights reserved.